So far, it has been difficult to predict physical scenarios in extended areas (such as vineyards) and to create automated actions.
There were technological limitations in the monitoring of physical quantities. The problem was in the scarcity of standards, connectivity and high hardware costs.
Now finally everything has become possible and you can monitor your vineyards while remaining comfortably in your office, or wherever you are on your smartphone.
In fact, thanks to the FeelGrid technology, you can measure and visualize in real time:
- Temperature and humidity of air and soil
- Leaf moisture
- And many other data that can help you better manage your production process. How, for example, optimise treatments and irrigation only on the basis of the actual need expressed by plants. All this monitored in real time remotely and conveniently visible from your PC or smartphone.
FeelGrid is a customizable IoT (Internet of Things) platform that allows organisations to design and manage IoT-based monitoring, forecasting and actions in Extended Areas, such as vineyards.
An open architecture cloud application is the new key to achieving results that were impossible in closed environments.
The wine market is characterised by an ever-increasing competition that requires higher quality standards also in the management of the vineyards. This also involves a change in production technology.
Therefore, the demand for sustainable quality increases, while the producers have increasing needs for greater efficiency and improvement of production times and costs related to:
- Fertilizers and plant protection products
- Production costs in general
Without the help of innovative technology, it becomes very difficult to keep up with the challenges imposed by growing competition in global markets.
FeelGrid was conceived as a solution that allows optimisation of production processes!
FeelGrid is a platform that allows you to design and manage IoT-based monitoring, forecasting and actions in extended areas (such as vineyards, cities, urban, agricultural, industrial areas etc.).
It allows the collection of data in time and space, thus allowing their scientific analysis. This is a direct benefit for the end user, which can be both the winemaker and the enologist.
FeelGrid creates a personalised environment for specific needs. It offers data in real time through a web panel.
An example of FeelGrid use is the measuring required for the management of vineyards, which we are using in areas such as the Collio. We can measure temperature and humidity in the air and in the ground. With the values of leaf moisture, sunlight, rain and many other data we can help to better manage the production process. With all that data we can optimise treatments and irrigation only on the basis of the actual need expressed by plants, monitored in real time remotely and conveniently visible from a PC or smartphone.
What is FeelGrid?
FeelGrid allows the realisation of Measurement Projects with Internet of Things (IoT) technology for the wine sector.
The design architecture of FeelGrid involves the use of an open architecture IoT network, which allows the detection of sensor measurements for particular values that are to be monitored over time and on several measurement points located in the area of interest.
The new transmission network technologies allow objects to connect to the Internet via devices without using 3G or WiFi. In particular, LoRaWAN (LoRa) technology requires very small batteries, works at long range and with little bandwidth. Given that, the range is very high and the cost of equipment is low, you can cover large areas, or entire cities, with a limited investment.
What can FeelGrid measure?
Thanks to a trial period of one year, we have created a range of measuring nodes equipped with sensors that allow to measure any useful size in the wine sector, such as:
- Air temperature,
- Relative humidity of the air
- Leaf wetness – both sides
- Wind speed and direction
- Air pressure
- Soil temperature (on 2 levels of depth)
- Soil moisture (on 2 levels od depth)
FeelGrid protects plants
Thanks to the data collected by FeelGrid will be possible to control a series of diseases that can affect the vineyard:
- Vine diseases – impact on development: variety, substrate, position, microclimatic conditions, measurements and ampliotechnics, phenological phase
- Peronospora of the vine (Plasmopara viticola Berl. & De Toni):
- air temperature, rainfall, leaf wetness: primary infection + relative humidity: secondary infection
- Oidium of the vine (Erysiphe necator Schwein):
- temperature, relative air humidity, wind speed, rainfall (primary infection!)
- Other diseases:
- Gray mold (botrytis), black grape rot
FeelGrid measures, compares and facilitates:
- Records the microclimatic elements (data)
- Compares models and parameters of disease development
- Determine the treatment
FeelGrid also allows to increase the quality of the grapes.
This can happen thanks to the measurement of:
- Lighting and solar radiation on the green parts of the plant parts of the leaf and grape area)
- Soil temperature and soil humidity (growth start, agro-ampelotechnical measures and irrigation)
FeelGrid reduces your costs and protects the environment!
The data comes directly from the vineyard and FeelGrid:
- Facilitate your treatments decisions
- It allows you a more precise distribution of treatments (with notifications!)
- It allows you to postpone the treatments (you will do less treatments)
- You will have less costs (every treatment is a cost)
- It allows greater protections of the environment
- Over time, the advantages of FeelGrid will increase, as:
- Records measured data over time (creating the database)
- Having more data, it will increase its accuracy over time
- It will allow greater inclusion of growth phases (phenological)
- Allows registration of tracking data (also for legal and quality purposes)
Based on specific needs, we identify specific detection sensors that can measure particular quantities. Their number will depend only on economic considerations, as with a gateway it will be possible to support up to 10.000 objects connected to transmission nodes within a visible radius of 10 km from it (in particular conditions it can even reach up to 15-20 km).
Examples of sensors and detections:
- Soil moisture sensor
- Soil temperature sensor
- Air humidity sensor
- Solar light sensor
- Mm of rain measurement sensor
- Leaf moisture sensor
FeelGrid monitors the operating status of the sensors in order to facilitate the maintenance and to verify their correct functionality and eventually provide for their arrangement or replacement.
Types of measurements nodes
According to specific needs we will define the different types of measurements nodes. For the wine and in general agricultural sector we have identified the following types of nodes:
Based on specific needs, other types of nodes can also be created. The number of nodes and therefore the total expenditure depends on the measurement map.
Marketing Office- FeelGrid